I just returned from a magical adventure girl’s trip at Universal Studios Orlando Resort. It has been a few years since I have been inside the Universal Studios Parks. The core memory from that trip is how I fell in love with the Butterbeer. For this trip, I made it my mission to try/find all the different types of Butterbeer available at Universal Studios.
What is Butterbeer?
Before I go into the different butterbeer drinks options available at Universal Studios, I want to explain what Butterbeer is. Butterbeer is what I consider the signature drink of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and is a drink that the characters from Harry Potter drink in the books/movies. I describe butterbeer as a cream soda with the flavor of butterscotch topped with a cream. With beer being in the name, this beverage does NOT contain alcohol.
Here is the description from one of the menus from one place that serves Butterbeer at Universal Studios Orlando Resort,” A non-alcoholic sweet drink reminiscent of shortbread and butterscotch.”
Types of Butterbeer Drinks
- A cold soft drink version. It can be served in a souvenir mug for an additional cost. I think this was my favorite version. It helped quench my thirst while visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and it was the perfect drink with my lunch at The Three Broomsticks.
- This version reminded me of an Icee. This also can be served in a souvenir mug for an additional cost.
- This version reminded me of a latte, just without the caffeine. This was nice to have on one of my mornings in the park.
Non-Dairy Butterbeer (Cold and Frozen)
- Butterbeer does contain dairy in the topping. However, some online menus (under beverages) for some locations that serve Butterbeer, like the online menu at The Three Broomsticks, mention vegans and/or anyone who has a dairy allergy to select non-dairy options for Cold or Frozen Butterbeer. Hot Butterbeer will remain NOT suitable for vegans and/or for those who have a dairy allergy. So only Cold and Frozen Butterbeer can come in a non-dairy/vegan version.
- I had a sip of a non-dairy cold butterbeer. The topping is thicker than the one on the regular butterbeer. Other than that, it tasted actually the same to me.
Butterbeer in Souvenir Mug
- Some butterbeer options can be served in a souvenir mug for additional cost. I did not purchase a souvenir mug with my Butterbeer.
Locations that Serve Butterbeer
Please note NOT all of these places serve all the different types of butterbeer.
All of the types of butterbeer (not including the ones that can be served in the souvenir mug) had a price of $8.49 plus tax. Butterbeer in Souvenir Mug cost $13.99 plus tax.
Other Butterbeer Treats
I was surprised to see other butterbeer options besides beverage options, and I wish I could have tried them all, but I only tried one. I am not sure if there were more, but these were the ones I saw in person and/or on menus.
Buttercream Ice Cream
This is one that I tried, and it was delicious. I had it with my lunch at the Three Broomsticks. It was also available for purchase at the Leaky Cauldron, Honeydukes, and Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour (this place served in a waffle cone).
Available in Hogsmeade at Honeydukes and Diagon Alley at Sugarplum’s Sweet Shop.
Buttercream Potted Cream
This is the one I really wanted to try when I was looking over the menus before my trip. It was not available when we ate lunch at The Three Broomsticks. I guess they were out. Another reason to go back! It was also on the menu for The Leaky Cauldron.
Butterbeer is my go-to drink of choice while visiting both Universal Studios Orlando Resort- Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida parks. I had it 5 times during my two days at the parks. It is delicious sweet and refreshing!